Wednesday, March 14, 2012

slow cooker stroganoff






















Along with trying out 3 new recipes a week, one of my corollary resolutions is to use my slow cooker more. The trouble is I tend to enjoy really fresh, crisp veggies and just seared meats, which is the antithesis of slow cooker food. Currently the main use of the slow cooker is to make overnight oatmeal from steel-cut oats, which couldn't be easier and is absolutely fantastic.

I saw found this slow cooker beef stroganoff online and it looked so simple that I decided it couldn't hurt to try. Prep time is literally 10 minutes, and it filled the house with an amazing aroma the whole entire day. I felt like one of those people who simmer sauces all day long!

The verdict? Still a bit "stewy" for me, though my son actually ate ate a whole chunk of beef with his dinner. (I also forgot the sour cream, so perhaps it might've been better with)? My favorite part of the meal was the kale and cucumber salad, dressed with my go-to lemon shallot vinaigrette.

Slow Cooker Stroganoff (adapted from The Stir)
2 pounds of London broil cubed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 beef bouillon cubes or equivalent granules
1 cup water
1 cup sour cream (light works fine.)



Mix all but sour cream and put in slow cooker (you do not need to even brown the meat first).
Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours.
About 10 minutes before serving, stir in sour cream. 
Serve over hot noodles or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment