Wednesday, February 29, 2012

funfetti whoopie pies!






















This is a bit of a cheat, but my daughter requested funfetti cupcakes for her birthday this year, and the only made-from-scratch recipe I found resulted in eggy but heavy cupcakes. I also have to admit, a secret part of me loves cake from a box. There's something so light and sugary about it - I usually inhale three or four cupcakes immediately after they come out of the oven! So I overbought funfetti cake mix in December, and now it is February and I am sick of cupcakes but needed to use up these extra boxes of cake mix.

Yesterday afternoon I found myself in a funk and needed something happy to cheer myself up. I remembered those funfetti cake mixes, and decided to doctor up some funfetti whoopie pies from what I had on hand. I followed the directions for "funfetti cookies" on the box, then whipped up some pink cream cheese frosting. The cookies only took 8 minutes to bake, and after they cooled, I sandwiched them together and rolled in confetti sprinkles for an instant late afternoon pick-me-up!

Funfetti Whoopie Pies
Ingredients
For Whoopie Pies:
1 box Pillsbury funfetti cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
For Filling:
1 cup cream cheese
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
red food coloring (I used 3 drops)
confetti sprinkles


Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Mix cake mix with 2 eggs and 1/3 cup vegetable oil, dough will be cookie dough consistency
Roll into balls (use a tablespoon to ensure they were all the same size) and place on parchment paper lined baking trays
Bake for 8-10 minutes until they're flattened and slightly golden brown, cool
Make cream cheese filling by whipping together cream cheese, confectioners sugar, vanilla, and food coloring with a hand mixer
When cooled, fill with cream cheese icing and roll in confetti sprinkles
Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. I found your blog and this recipe on a search. This is exactly what I need. I love the cream cheese filling too! I'm making them for a party :) thanks!
    vac 924 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 Tips to a flat stomach
    ----------------------------------
    Stop making these 5 Major mistakes and you will finally lose your stubborn belly fat
    There are long lasting ways to get the amazing middle you crave. These genius tips
    Will help you shed inches and pounds, banish the bloat, And feel even more gorgeous.
    we have very best advice for quickly shrinking your tummy. Here are the surprising
    Hello, skinny jeans!
    http://juicyabs.com
    http://www.facebook.com/5TipsToAFlatStomach?skip_nax_wizard=true

    ReplyDelete